This infusion base 5 Star Pro features a beautiful, naturally textured, recycled Australian Iron Bark timber handle, with a brass ring near its base**. All our timber handles are individually hand-turned on a wood lathe and made to order.
All timbers classified ‘Iron Bark’ vary in shade across the colour spectrum, and your tamper handle’s timber would have its own unique variations. Natural imperfections give the wood character, and don’t represent fault – we shape to the natural grain of the timber. These handles are finished by hand and are coated with shellac.
The infusion base has circular indentations on its surface, increasing the surface area of the coffee, causing a 'pre-brewing' effect during the coffee extraction process. This causes a change to the flavour profile and acidity of the coffee, compared with the flat base. Generally, the flavour created by this base is sweeter when we’ve compared it with our flat base tampers, however the exact impact depends on the type of coffee you use. This base works well if your roasted coffee beans are really fresh.
Like all our 5 Star Pro’s, the levelling plate keeps your tamping level by sitting on the top of the filter basket as you press down on ground coffee. The amount of pressure you apply is controlled by a pre-calibrated spring inside the tamper itself.
- timber is a living material. All care is taken by Eazytamp to ensure that when handles are shipped there are no cracks in the timber. However, over time and by reason of normal use, cracks may appear in the handle. If this occurs, you can repair yourself by using a 2-pac glue/erudite glue.
- given the unique timber variations, the colour of the handle shipped will vary from that displayed online. Please bear this in mind when placing your order.
This 5 Star Pro comes fully assembled, and features:
- A hand-turned Iron Bark timber handle with brass ring – suitable for all hand sizes
- A infusion compression base (default size is 7.5mm thick)
- A star-shaped levelling plate
- A calibrated spring (15kg standard spring)
- A levelling plate spring (to ensure the plate returns to its starting position)
Each tamper also comes with:
- A cleaning bag
- An additional 10kg spring (coloured red) and 7kg spring (coloured blue)
- A coffee dosing cup (holds 22g of coffee)
FAQ, shipping and returns
- Shipping costs are calculated at the checkout step.
- Please ensure you measure your basket. Customers bear responsibility for correct choice of base size and thickness.
- Our base size of 58mm is a 58.4mm because most baskets are machined to fit this size. In other words, a base size of 58.4mm will fit most 58mm baskets, if not all.
- We can machine custom base diameter sizes to suit. If you can't see your required size in the drop-down list to choose from, please select the closest size from this list and then record your preferred size in the notes section upon checkout of the store.
- For more information about how this tamper works, visit our 5 Star Pro FAQ page.
- Guarantee NOT provided on timber handle for reasons stated above.