This flat base 5 Star Pro features a beautiful, naturally textured, recycled Australian Iron Bark timber handle. All our timber handles are individually hand-turned on a wood lathe and made to order.
All timbers classified ‘Iron Bark’ vary in shade across the colour spectrum, and your tamper handle’s timber would have its own unique variations. Natural imperfections give the wood character, and don’t represent fault – we shape to the natural grain of the timber. These handles are finished by hand and are coated with shellac.
Like all our 5 Star Pro’s, the levelling plate keeps your tamping level by sitting on the top of the filter basket as you press down on ground coffee. The amount of pressure you apply is controlled by a pre-calibrated spring inside the tamper itself.
Please note: given the unique timber variations, the colour of the handle shipped will vary from that displayed online. Please bear this in mind when placing your order.
This 5 Star Pro comes fully assembled, and features:
- A hand-turned, Iron Bark timber handle with brass ring – suitable for all hand sizes
- A flat compression base (default size is 7.5mm thick)
- A star-shaped levelling plate
- A calibrated spring (15kg standard spring)
- A levelling plate spring (to ensure the plate returns to its starting position)
Each tamper also comes with:
- A cleaning bag
- An additional 10kg spring (coloured red) and 7kg spring (coloured blue)
- A coffee dosing cup (holds 22g of coffee)
FAQ, shipping and returns
- Shipping costs are calculated at the checkout step.
- Please ensure you measure your basket. Customers bear responsibility for correct choice of base size and thickness.
- Our base size of 58mm is a 58.5mm because most baskets are machined to fit this size. In other words, a base size of 58.5mm will fit most 58mm baskets, if not all.
- If you are using a single filter basket, we recommend purchase of a 5mm thick base.
- If you’re using VST, IMS or other competition filter baskets and require deeper compression inside this type of baskets, i.e. more than 16.5mm, you need to select a thicker base – 7.5mm is the default thickness. If you’re not sure what base size you should order, please check the measurement page.
- For more information about how this tamper works, visit our 5 Star Pro FAQ page