This infusion base, black handle #1 5 Star Pro features a special design – the infusion base has circular indentations on its surface, increasing the surface area of the coffee, causing a 'pre-brewing' effect during the coffee extraction process.
This causes a change to the flavour profile and acidity of the coffee, compared with the flat base. Generally, the flavour created by this base is sweeter when we’ve compared it with our flat base tampers, however the exact impact depends on the type of coffee you use. This base works well if your roasted coffee beans are really fresh.
Plus, like all our 5 Star Pro’s, the tamper’s levelling plate keeps your tamping level by sitting on the top of the filter basket as you press down on ground coffee. The amount of pressure you apply is controlled by a pre-calibrated spring inside the tamper itself.
The handle is variation on our ‘classic handle’. It features our latest hand tamper technology, with a more cylindrical, stem-like handle shape, and was designed with the arc of the thumb in mind – providing a comfortable place to grip.
This 5 Star Pro comes fully assembled, and features:
- The black handle #1 – suitable for all hand sizes; designed with the arc of the thumb in mind
- An infusion compression base
- A star-shaped levelling plate
- A calibrated spring (15kg standard spring)
- A levelling plate spring (to ensure the plate returns to its starting position)
Each tamper also comes with:
- A cleaning bag
- An additional 10kg spring (coloured red) and 7kg spring (coloured blue)
- A coffee dosing cup (holds 22g of coffee)
FAQ, shipping and returns
- Free shipping Australia only. Shipping costs are calculated at the checkout step.
- Please ensure you measure your basket. Customers bear responsibility for correct choice of base size and thickness.
- A base size of 58.4mm will fit most 58mm baskets
- If you’re using VST, IMS or other competition filter baskets and require deeper compression inside this type of baskets, i.e. more than 16.5mm, you need to select a thicker base – 7.5mm is the default thickness. If you’re not sure what base size you should order, please check the measurement page.
- For more information about how this tamper works, visit our 5 Star Pro FAQ page